Sunday, August 3, 2008

Breaking Dawn

Emily is ignoring me and banished me to the living room, commanding me "Not to Disturb Her!" The new book "Breaking Dawn" by Stephanie Meyer came out yesterday and Emily has been looking forward to this moment for months. I think in the last 5 months, she has re-read the Twilight series 4 or 5 times. When she gets bored, she just picks them up and starts reading them, just so that she remembers everything. It is pretty incredible to see the dedicated cult following to this Meyer woman's books.

Funny story -- so we went to the Hampton's and the end of Long Island yesterday with our good friends Taylor and Melinda Jones. Emily was a little distraught, because at midnight on Friday evening, the new book was coming out. Emily begged me to go the midnight showing, but being the bad husband that I am, I turned her down.

So there we are, walking around the Hampton's, surrounded by Porsche's, Lamborghini's, Bentley's, and other extremely expensive cars and super rich people, and we see this little bookstore. Emily drags me over just to see if they have Breaking Dawn. Regrettably, they don't, but they mention to check K-mart. So we drive a little bit further and find this great place to stop for lunch, and guess what, K-mart was next door.

After lunch, we rushed into the store, but could only find the older 3 books. The first person we asked had absolutely no people skills nor knowledge about the store, so we found someone else. Much to our surprise, he had never heard of the series, but went in the back to check, just to see if they had it. After 10 anxious minutes of waiting, he emerges with a jewel worth more than all the riches in the world, the Breaking Dawn book. Emily was esctatic!

Now, she reads, and I am enjoying bachelorhood. Now, there are a couple of take-a-ways:

1) It doesnt surprise me that K-mart is a struggling company, they have tons of Breaking Dawn books, but have not put them out. Nice marketing strategy guys, that will keep you competitive.
2) If you ever want something that is tough to come by, go to K-mart, because there are not going to be any other shoppers there. As long as you find a K-mart worker who has communication skills, you should find what you are looking for.
3) The Hampton's are everything you thought it would be and more. It has a really cool feel, it is a fun atmosphere, everyone is extremely rich, and the homes are selling for $5 million to $25 million. Pretty ridiculous stuff, but it was fun to go and see all of Long Island and to spend some time on the beach.

5 comments:

David and Amy said...

Rob and Emers,
Glad to have found your blog, and we still definitely got to make that Road Trip of the Century to Palmyra and Niagara!
David and Amy

Becky said...

Hey Rob! Fun to see your blog. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy of Breaking Dawn. I can totally relate to Emily -- I want to be alone all day when it comes so I can do nothing but read... Come visit my blog!

Jonathan said...

Yeah, hopefully the poor reviews for this final book will end all the "emotional affairs" going on out there due to this series (not implying that this is the case with Emily)--amazing how infatuated some girls get over fictional characters (and vampires and werevolves, at that).

Michael & Kara said...

So funny! I am the exact same way! I've read the books 3 times in the last 4 months just getting prepared for this book as well!! Too funny!

Al said...

Thornock, you went to the hamptons? Of course you did, I mean your thornock, and I'm sure it was..... amazing.