Saturday, October 22, 2011

Knee surgery

As most of you know, I had knee surgery 9 years ago when I lived in Kiev, Ukraine. I slipped on the ice, sliced my tendon, and had it sewn up. My knee has hurt on/off over the last 9 years, especially when playing sports or other serious activities. In August, the pain became pretty severe, and I had an X-ray and MRI done, and the doctors realized that there was something still in my knee, a foreign object that the Ukrainian doctors left in there.

I had surgery Friday morning, had great nurses and doctors, and as it turns out, there was a large piece of glass in knee. It is about the size of a guitar pick, and is clearly from a beer bottle that I must have landed on. This experience was considerably different than the surgery 9 years ago: 1) I had a gown to cover myself, 2) I had general anesthesia and was asleep, 3) doctors who were trained, 4) clean instruments and a room to myself, 5) I actually understood what they were saying!

Needless to say, the surgery went really well and I am recovering. I am going to take it easy for the next few days, but should be walking without crutches in a week or something. Hopefully my knee is all better from here on out. Enjoy the pics:





1 comment:

Kevin and Heather Hirst said...

That is so crazy about the glass in your knee! I'm glad you had a much better surgery this time:) Bobby is getting so big and he's so adorable:)